The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) was founded in the wake of the work of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and promotes fair, democratic, inclusive and peaceful societies in post-conflict states across Africa.
The Reconciliation Barometer Project, one of its longest-running initiatives, is a survey-based public opinion project, located in the IJR’s Research and Policy Unit in Cape Town, measuring public opinion on reconciliation in South Africa and increasingly further abroad.
The IJR seeks to recruit a talented and experienced Senior Project Leader to implement this flagship project and raise its profile in South Africa and internationally.
- Lead the development and implementation of the biennial South African Reconciliation Barometer Survey (SARB)
- Lead methodological and content innovation processes to ensure sustained relevance of the SARB and other measurement instruments
- Lead the international expansion of the Reconciliation Barometer model
- Lead the production of survey reports, policy papers, and briefing notes
- Lead the Project’s public policy engagement efforts with stakeholders in government, civil society, and the private sector
- In partnership with the IJR’s communications team, sustain and enhance the project’s public profile through regular contributions to the print, online, and broadcast media
- Collaborate with the Research and Policy Unit’s two other project’s, the Afrobarometer and Inclusive Economies in producing incisive cross-cutting analysis of societies in transition
- Contribute to the fundraising efforts to ensure the project’s sustainability
- Mentoring of junior staff and interns
- An innovative self-starter with a Masters degree in International Relations, Political Studies, Development Studies, Sociology or related social science disciplines;
- At least 5-7 years of working experience, leading or contributing to the development and implementation of large public opinion surveys, preferably with a focus on political behaviour
- A high level of proficiency in the analysis of public opinion data with statistical packages, such as SPSS, is essential.
- The ability to connect to dots between the research findings and broader public policy debates
- A flair for effective communication, which includes excellent writing skills, interaction with the broadcast media, and social media engagement.
- Strong project management and donor reporting skills to steer the implementation and administration of large externally funded projects.
- A team player, who is able to collaborate with colleagues across projects and programmes
- This is a Cape Town-based position and all applicants must be eligible to work in South Africa at the time of their application
IJR offers a competitive inclusive salary packages in a dynamic working environment, which prioritises the professional development and wellbeing of its employees. Commencement date: As soon as possible.
- Please submit your cover letter, CV with two contactable references, and a writing sample of no more than 5000 words in one PDF document to email@example.com with the subject heading SARB SPL
- Shortlisted candidates will participate in an initial interview, and final candidates will be required to complete a short practical assessment
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 1 week of the closing date.
- This listing is still open.